The process of finding and ordering what you want can play a major role in customer satisfaction at restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, and other retail and hospitality environments. In fact, nearly three-quarters (74 percent) of restaurant guests say that an easy-to-read menu is their top priority for having a good experience.
With a digital menu board, guests can clearly see items, pricing, and nutrition information. Plus, the latest digital menu boards support UHD graphics and video to really make an impression. Digital menu boards are quickly replacing static menu boards. Beyond food and beverage offerings, they’re a great way to display money exchange rates, travel destinations, showtimes, local attractions, and much more.
One of the most exciting things about digital menu boards is that they can be used for much more than menus alone. At restaurants in particular, about one-third of guests report that digital menus influence their purchasing decisions, making them great for promotional content. With big, bold screens that grab and hold attention, you can showcase new items, a local supplier, a seasonal ingredient, or a limited-time offering. A digital restaurant menu board, for example, can share social media reviews or a behind-the-scenes chef profile. At a movie theater, a digital menu board can rotate through movie posters for upcoming films. A grocery store can feature weekly specials or cross-sell to other departments.
Types of Digital Menu Boards
Digital menu boards (also called DMBs or electronic menu boards) are a type of digital signage solution driven by content management software. Many of these solutions are plug-and-play, making them easy to set up and manage. Menu updates, pricing, promotional offers, and other content can be pushed out instantly or customized to specific times or days of the week.
|Digital Menu Board Solutions
|Stand-alone digital menu boards
||With stand-alone digital menu boards, each board is managed individually. This is a great option for a single location or small chain.
|Networked digital menu boards
||Networked digital menu boards are typically used by large chains, since they can be centrally managed across all locations.
Digital menu board software and display types vary by solution. You’ll want to choose a solution based on your unique setup and usage scenarios. For example, a digital window display can highlight mouthwatering promotions that draw people inside, while rugged outdoor signage works well for a drive-through.
About one-third of restaurant guests report that digital menus influence their purchasing decisions.
Benefits of Digital Menu Boards
Digital menu boards for restaurants, grocery stores, movie theaters, and other businesses help them compete in a visual environment filled with distractions. Among the benefits of a digital menu are:
- Higher sales. QSRs using digital menu boards report a 28 percent boost in overall sales. Eye-catching digital menus help you bring attention to new menu items, seasonal specials, or promotional offers. They also make your everyday menu items look amazing, enticing guests to add more items to their orders.
- Real-time updates. Digital menus make it easy to quickly change content—no need to wait for printing, shipping, and installation. For networked digital menu boards, you can push updates to multiple locations within minutes. This helps ensure visual consistency and compliance with brand standards and regulations on nutritional information.
- Low costs for promotions. Eliminate the costs of printed signage for menu item launches, promotions, and menu updates. Digital menus are also more environmentally responsible, since they avoid the waste created when printed signage is disposed.
- Infotainment for guests. Digital menu boards can help keep your guests entertained with dynamic content and videos. These on-brand experiences can help cement guest loyalty.
- Employee time savings. When employees don’t have to update menu boards, they can focus on providing excellent customer service. This can also translate into potential cost savings.
Intel® Technologies for Digital Menu Boards
For high-quality graphics, great responsiveness, and robust connectivity, businesses can look for digital menu board solutions that are built on Intel platforms. These technologies help create immersive experiences that connect with your guests.
|Intel® Technologies Power Responsive, Dynamic Digital Menu Boards
|Intel® Core™ processors
||Intel® Core™ processors deliver high compute and graphics performance for digital menu boards.
|Intel® Active Management Technology (Intel® AMT)
||Digital menu boards built on the Intel vPro® platform provide the ability to manage menu boards remotely with Intel® Active Management Technology.
||Intel® NUC mini PCs give you substantial performance for digital menus with a small form factor that’s great for tiny places.
|Intel® Smart Display Module (Intel® SDM)
||This specification and reference design enables intelligence and interoperability for digital signage solutions.
|Intel® Distribution of OpenVINO™ toolkit
||If you’re interested in adding AI-enabled capabilities to digital signage, this toolkit streamlines the development of computer vision applications on Intel platforms.
|Intel® Movidius™ VPUs
||Provide hardware acceleration for computer vision applications with vision processing units (VPUs).
|Intel® IoT Market Ready Solutions
||Find products and solutions from Intel’s ecosystem of partners that are designed to solve your business needs.
Redefine Customer Experiences with Digital Signage
Every screen presents an opportunity to share your message, delight guests, and build brand loyalty. The latest digital signage solutions help you create experiences that engage and impress your customers, delivering the most relevant content at just the right time. It’s just one more way to cater to your customers and give them the great experiences they’re looking for.