In front-office trading, the ability to process large amounts of data in fractions of a second has become the difference between making the trade and losing it to a competitor. Intel understands the need for speed in this exacting context. The new generations of Intel processors—the Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series and Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family—reduce latency from low microseconds to tens of nanoseconds.1
Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series
- Ideal for trade execution: This enterprise-class processor can improve performance over the Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series by up to 60 percent, saving firms valuable microseconds.
- Performance: In early analysis of the Intel® Xeon® 5600 processor series, Intel customer Nomura reduced latency by approximately 35 percent over the Intel® Xeon® processor 5500 series. Furthermore, throughput performance increased by 30 percent in a continuous trading scenario representing major intra-day trades.2
Learn more about the Intel® Xeon® Processor 5600 Series >
Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family
- Superior for high volumes of data: Scales to handle complex market data or interconnected and dependent processes on the same hardware box.
- World-record performance: Delivers improved scalability and advanced reliability.
- Do more with less: Enables banks to spread processing over more available cores to handle larger peaks more efficiently, without slowing response times. More cores, more memory and a four-socket system means the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family allows firms to host more trading algorithms on each server.
Learn more about the Intel® Xeon® processor E7 family >
Register for financial services electronic updates:
Architecture does make a difference
These value-adding elements of Intel® architecture are now also being applied to the trading function.
- Intel® 10 Gigabit Ethernet Media Access Controller and NetEffect™ Ethernet Mezzanine Cluster Adapters focus on acceleration via the network card.
- Intel®Threading Building Blocks ensures full use of available cores.
- Intel VTune™ Amplifier XE 2011 analyzes software code efficiency to help improve application performance.
- Intel Compilers are directly optimized to processor hardware to help create multi-threaded applications.
- Intel® I/O Acceleration Technology for I/O-sensitive applications, improves data flow across the platform to increase system performance.
Catalyst for cost savings in the data center
Thanks to their ability to regulate power consumption by intelligently adjusting server performance, Intel® Xeon® processors can help reduce costs and increase energy efficiency within the data center.
- Intel® Xeon® processor E7 series: Easily scales to meet your firm’s demands in real time by directing performance where it is needed. Use all cores or just half of them, depending on which applications are needed.
- Intel® Xeon® processor 5600 series: Saves firms hundreds of thousands of dollars by migrating older systems to new ones. Cost of ownership calculations show 15:1 server-consolidation ratios with up to 95 percent lower energy costs for a CAPEX return on investment in as little as five months.3
Learn more about the entire Intel® Xeon® processor family >
Additional information: 4 5