VMware vSAN with Intel® Optane™ SSD P5800X
Solution Snapshot: VMware vSAN with Intel® Optane™ SSD P5800X
Read this two-page brochure to discover how Intel® Optane™ SSDs can solve challenges like the following:
- Data explosion drives need for higher IOPS and lower latency to help meet SLAs.
- Budget pressures demand server consolidation and lower total cost of ownership (TCO).
- Data loss can be catastrophic, so SSDs need higher endurance.
Intel® Optane™ SSDs, in combination with VMware vSAN, can be used in many use cases, including trusted enterprise virtualization, remote and branch office and edge, virtual desktop infrastructure (VDI), DevOps for microservices and containers, and disaster recovery.
Using Intel® Optane™ SSDs in the VMware vSAN cache tier, along with 3rd Gen Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors, enables organizations to:
- Achieve consistent high performance and low latency
- Improve TCO
- Lower data loss risk through high endurance
When compared to older technology, the latest Intel® Optane™ SSD and Intel® Xeon® Scalable processors provide many benefits:
- Up to 40% more IOPS
- Up to 30% less latency (in fact, the P5800X is the world's fastest SSD)
- Up to 30% fewer hosts (five servers can do the work of seven – helping to reduce power, cooling, and footprint cost)
- Up to 20% lower TCO
VMware vSAN performs best when the cache tier is on fast SSDs with low latency and high endurance. Intel® Optane™ P5800X SSDs offer high IOPS per dollar with consistently low latency, resulting in breakthrough performance.
Compared to NAND SSDs, the Intel® Optane™ SSD P5800X provides 2.5x more throughput, consistently low latency even when I/O demand increases, and a 16x improvement in lifetime endurance.
In a nutshell, Intel® Optane™ SSDs are a great choice for the vSAN storage cache.